Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cabin-A versus Aliner

Before we bought the Aliner Expedition in 2012, we had a 2006 Cabin-A, also manufactured by Columbia Northwest. We actually loved that little camper, but we were very unaware of the idiosyncrasies of these very lightweight caravans. If we had realized that it's par for the course to have to constantly screw things back in and reglue and tighten up, we would have done a better job of it. As it was, after 6 years, the poor thing had rattled apart inside, and we had to take it to an RV interior guy to fix it up (for $1,000!) so we could sell it. We made sure to spell out to the new owner what she needed to do to keep it up.

We're thinking that with the Aliner only having cabinets on the bottom level, it might be a slightly different story. The Cabin-A was not foldable, and had cabinets up and down. Of course the first thing to go was the microwave, shortly followed by the range hood!

I'm glad we joined the Facebook Aframe owners' page A Frame Campers. It's a great place for lots of information from people who have owned and modified Aframes for years. If something's coming apart or not working properly, someone on that forum will have an idea for a fix. Most of them seem to recommend shoring up or doing away with the microwave as, again, it is the first thing to work loose and fall out! Many people seem to like the extra cabinet space that removing the microwave provides.

The Cabin-A was a dream to tow, but was very tall so visibility was always an issue. Our Aliner is also too tall to see over when we're in the tow vehicle, but it's easier to see around. We still use the extendable mirrors, but could actually do ok with the regular mirrors on our Silverado.

Another issue with the Cabin-A was the bed situation. At night, the seats and table could be rigged into a full-size bed which turns out to be pretty small when you're used to queens and kings. So we mostly opted to sleep on the bench seats, one each, which were comfortable with extra foam place on top, but extremely narrow.

The Cabin-A did have an enclosed shower and toilet. We never did use the shower, but it was nice to be able to use the toilet in the middle of the night and have it in an actual room! On the other hand, the Aliner has a toilet in a cupboard that you open up at night, and if you want privacy, you'd have to rig some kind of curtain-thing up. There's certainly no door. There is an outside shower on the Aliner, but we try to camp at places that have showers anyway. The outside shower might be good to hose off a muddy dog or kid. We don't ever use the water heater anyway - any hot water we need is heated up in our electric kettle. It gives us enough to wash dishes and/or faces!

The Cabin-A's door was in the back of the coach, which was great in some ways, but also meant that it was very hard for 2 people to pass each other in the gangway. The Aliner's door is in the middle. One person can be cooking or washing dishes and the other sitting at the dinette, going in an out as he or she pleases. Sometimes though, the side doorway is on the wrong side to be convenient at some campgrounds.

I liked the curtains in the Cabin-A. They pulled open and closed and there was some Velcro involved. The Cabin-A has pleated blinds on the bubble windows that already look terrible. We probably left them down at some point when we closed up the camper, and squashed them. One day I'll get around to replacing them.

We did have a leak in the bubble window of the Cabin-A, and got it fixed. It took a few years to develop. The Aliner leaked just a few months after we bought it - through the apex of the roof. I'm sure that's going to be a problem with any foldup camper sooner or later. I'm not impressed that it was sooner though.

The Cabin-A cost us $13,000 on clearance (new) in 2006, the Aliner was a pretty much fully-loaded model, also on clearance in 2012 at $21,000. They're not cheap!

There are obvious differences in convenience between parking and hooking up the Cabin-A, and having to unfold and fold the Aliner. It just depends what you want to be towing around.

We were definitely emotionally attached to the Cabin-A, but we're enjoying the Aliner just as much, and will even more when we get our Wind Cheeta wind kit installed for extra peace of mind when unfolding and folding in a wind, and just being camped in windy weather.
http://www.aframewindkits.com
I have no financial interest in this wonderful invention developed by Randy Floyd. I just think it's an awesome gadget that gives an Aliner owner a lot of added security.

I hope the woman who bought our Cabin-A has enjoyed it. We certainly did. Now we plan to make many happy camping memories in the Aliner in the future.

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi enjoyed your blog, I have a 2004 Aline cabin A Expedition, which recently caught fire, as a power surge from my home electricity that had gone out in a storm blew up the battery and fried a good share of the harness, although 110 still works, I have to have it fixed. Any idea what they sell for, it sounds much like yours single axle weighs just 1800+ unloaded. a/c overhead fan went but other than this it worked well. I just need to find a bid on fixing it, won't be cheap and am wondering if they may total it as it caught fire, minor, but with wiring it is iffy. If you can respond or know what it was worth prior to this incident, it would be very helpful, I paid 9500. for it brand new, but had sat on lot till 2005. Hate to junk it as if nothing else I can make it a more rustic trailer without all the electric stuff, the ac and microwave are nice but camping is camping and could still make it usable. My name is Lee and email me at proofed@yahoo.com, if you have any input. Thanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - I didn't see this until just now. I'm guessing a 2004 CabinA in good shape should be worth $5,000, especially as they have just come out with a similar model again. And then deduct what you think the damage amounts to.

      Delete
    2. Hi. We're looking at a 2006 Cabin A. But you say they have come out with a similar model?! Who is the "they" you refer to? I would like to look up what newer ones are like. Also, the one we saw has the split twin bed/dining table design, and we would want to take out the cabinet between and rig it up like the floorplan with the bed always ready and just a two seat dinette. Has anyone else done this? Thanks!

      Delete
    3. I found the new ones on the Aliner website. Called "Ascape". I still wonder if anyone has converted a Cabin A floorplan as I mentioned.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    I have a 2006 Cabin A Expedition that I just bought. In short order, the cabinets have come loose from the walls. I am wondering how I might fix this since you've had this problem previously?

    I'd actually like to sell this trailer - I'm in Phoenix area. So if anyone is looking for a 'handyman' special, I would think this would be an easy fix for someone with some simple carpenter skills.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took ours to a company that made custom interiors for fancy RVs but were willing to work on ours. They used screws and strong glue to reattach everything, and it cost us about $1,000. They said the problem with very light campers is that they only use short screws, and the bouncing can easily pull things away from the walls. So we paid a lot, but were confident that we'd sold it on in the same original condition as it had started out.

      Delete
    2. Blog owner Pat - I can't find how to contact you. Can you hook "Unknown" and I up as I am interested in the 2006 Cabin A. I hope this is ok to ask. Thanks. (P.S. I'm shopvacmaggie, commented above but don't know how I did that.)

      Delete
  5. My text number is 3six0 -556- 09one2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi- I'll try to contact you- I've been in Washington State the last 3 months.
    Teena MST at g mail or 206 48four four one zero seven.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm interested in your trailer if u haven't sold it.
    I'm in San Diego.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just purchased a 2004 Cabin A here in Wisconsin. I cant help you with your question but I am hoping you can advise me as to how to join this blog. I am having trouble doing so. My name is Sue and email is lakemedora@gmail.com. There is also a new FB site for these campers but it could use a few new members.

      Delete
  8. Hello folks..

    I'm wondering if the 24' Cabin A toy-hauler had any serious issues, like the frame bending that Ive read can happen to the Aliner.. I really really like the narrow 7' width, so all this negative information is a disappointment.. But I guess better than making a mistake thinking it would be strong enough for boon docking off rough wash boarded gravel roads in colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was interested Incomment RE: Cabin A Expedition loose cabinets etc from road bumps. I wrote an earlier piece about a fire that wreaked wire damage and the insurance company declaring it totaled, which I bought back to see if restoration is possible. To make a long story short, I am redoing the wiring damage and cleaning up smoke damage and on a closer look, I see the damage is not as extensive as first look made me believe. I am certain that@ 120/hr. RVrepairt parts would be too expensive so am busy rewiring damage and upgrading any issues that could come up as the cabinet problems so please let me know exactly where ALINE fell short on this planning on this being.my road home for an extended tour of U.S. & need it up to task. any input welcome

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took a cabin A3 from Ontario to Alberta in 2007 (new) and immediately noticed items falling off as mentioned above. We sold it, but I really wished I'd kept it and fixed it up as needed. I loved the layout for a travel camper...and the weight! Would love to find another if anyone has a line on one. Happy to work on it...

    ReplyDelete